Monday, December 5, 2011

JRA RiverRat’s Top 5 Suggestions for Enjoying the River in Winter

Do you get the cold weather blues because it means several months away from the James River? Cheer up! With the right precautions, winter can be a great time to get out on the water. Take a look at these suggestions from JRA’s tough RiverRats.



1. “I follow the 100 rule. The combination of air temperature and water temperature must be over 100 or I don't go on the water.” Kim Payne, Lynchburg

2. “James River trips in the winter are limited to some lower James striper fishing which involves my brother's bass boat and high speed. Ski goggles are a must.” Steve Forrest, Powhatan

3. “I carry a drybag of clothes etc. plus a rescue beacon in case I get marooned on an island.” Joey Klingman, Hopewell

4. “I like breaking ice...A good skirt sure is nice.” Steve Willard, Richmond

5. “While cotton feels great, it is a terrible insulator once it gets wet. Leave the cotton at home!” Massey Whorley, Richmond

Visit our website for more information on the RiverRats program.

No comments:

Post a Comment