Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Meet JRA RiverRat L.E. Rhodes

As one of JRA’s RiverRats, L.E. Rhodes of Scottsville is simply continuing a tradition he began  53 years ago. A lifetime friend of the James River, he can tell his story better than anyone else:

I grew up in Scottsville and decided that here is where I wanted to make my home and raise my family. Growing up in a small town with a river running through it, it was only natural to play and explore along its banks. I picked the section from Scottsville to Hardware to patrol, the reason being that’s the section I grew up on and have spent most of my life exploring. I patrol mostly by boat, but do foot patrol where I have gained permission.

When you begin your adventure from Scottsville you encounter mostly flat water the first couple of miles. There is a pipeline that goes across the river and from there down you will start into a chain of islands to the take out at Hardware. It’s a pretty easy float with shoals and ledges along with the numerous islands. You will see a wide variety of wildlife and the fishing is pretty good also. It’s about a six-mile float, which makes for a super float to introduce small children to the river.

I am a Forest Technician for the Virginia Department of Forestry.  Besides playing with my 13 month-old granddaughter, I also run a fishing guide service (www.hatchmatcherguideservice.com) on both the James and Shenandoah Rivers. I am an Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide and have been guiding since 1999. I’m also on the guide staff of Mossy Creek Fly Fishing (www.mossycreekflyfishing.com).

I became a RiverRat because the James has provided my family and me with so much enjoyment that I just want to do my part in helping protect it for the generations ahead. It’s a terrific resource that we all need to respect and protect. The best thing about being a RiverRat is being able to network with like-minded people who share a passion of the river. Also the support from JRA and the James Riverkeepers. If you love the river and want to help protect the wonderful resource, why not become a RiverRat?


Learn more about the RiverRat program at www.jrava.org/get-involved/volunteer/riverrats


No comments:

Post a Comment