Wednesday, April 24, 2013

More Can Cost Less When You Go Native


By Judith Warrington, owner of a certified River Hero Home

Here’s one more good reason to become a certified River Hero Home: saving money! After too many years of falling in love with a bright, promising annual or pinning  my hopes on a perennial that can’t take the heat and humidity of a Richmond summer, I’ve gone native.  This spring you won’t find me at the garden center wasting money on a big pot of “something” simply because its flowers are blue. This spring any plant I purchase has to be suited to the region and it has to be a native!
The River Hero Homes program is designed to reduce stormwater runoff from your home, but the benefits of river-friendly practices, like planting a BayScape with native plants, also provides food and habitat for wildlife.
 Native plants were a new concept for me. In my first year as a River Hero Home, I planted my BayScape on a somewhat experimental basis to see which native plants would work best for my backyard’s mixture of sun and shade. Admittedly, my original plant choices were pretty random. But this past warm weekend revealed some welcome surprises in the new garden.

The Rudbeckia (Black-eyed Susan) is coming back with a vengeance. That means there will be plants to share with the neighbors.  Plus, the goldfinch enjoyed the seed heads last fall, so that was an added benefit. The Chysogonum, (Green and Gold) never went away during our not-too-cold winter and is happily putting out bright new growth. (This low-growing native plant may be my favorite discovery.)The Chelone (Turtle-head rose) proved to be a charming addition to the semi-shade area and the Asclepias tuberosa, (Butterfly weed) loved the blazing sunny portion. A plant that is usually late to emerge, the Butterfly weed had more than a few colorful visitors last summer. My fingers are crossed that it will come back!

Last weekend found me at the garden center, loading a cart up with pots…all of them native plants. It felt good to know that I wasn’t gambling my money away on plants that might -- or might not -- be happy in my BayScape.  It also felt good to show my River Hero Home card at checkout and get a discount on my rather sizable purchase. This spring you should consider becoming a River Hero Home and going native. You’ll enjoy a more successful gardening experience with less work, less water and you might spend less money.

www.jamesriverhero.org

No comments:

Post a Comment