Thursday, September 5, 2013

Searching For a Purpose? Get Involved!

By Justin Doyle, JRA Outreach Manager

JRA Volunteers
Searching for a purpose in life is a common human experience. Living a purposeless life can be unfulfilling and even depressing. Many people find their purpose in a career or playing a role in a family unit. It was my freshman year of college when I discovered my purpose.

I attended a small school in rural Southwest Virginia characterized by the beautiful Appalachian Mountains, and after growing up in suburban Northern Virginia, what the unspoiled nature of Southwest Virginia offered was a breath of fresh air. In college I spent a considerable amount of my free time exploring the Jefferson National Forest where one of my favorite places to visit was a mountain peak called High Knob. The 360-degree view from High Knob was spectacular on a clear day, but I was always troubled by the visible scars left behind by mountaintop removal mining occurring on nearby mountains. After learning about the severe environmental degradation attributed to mountaintop removal mining and considering how much I cherished unspoiled nature, I decided to dedicate my life to environmental conservation.

While I have not seized the opportunity to protect elephants in Africa or Leatherback sea turtles in Costa Rica, I have lobbied elected officials and volunteered with a number of environmental organizations. Even picking up trash left behind on a hiking trail or city street brings me great satisfaction and ultimately a sense purpose. I feel like I am making a difference in the world every time I pick up a cigarette butt or plastic bottle.

Today, I am employed by the James River Association, an organization working to protect America’s Founding River, and realize I am incredibly fortunate to have a career that complements my passion for environmental conservation. I encourage anybody seeking a purpose in life to get involved with the James River Association. Your involvement can be anything from becoming a River Hero Home, to training to be a RiverRat, organizing a trash cleanup in your neighborhood, volunteering  for a JRA community project or becoming a JRA member. Get involved for a healthier James River!

No comments:

Post a Comment